Jimmy Bogard talks with Dave Rael about building systems at scale, simplicity, and focusing on the problem before concocting a solution.
Jimmy Bogard is the chief architect at HeadSpring, a member of the ASPInsiders group, the C# Insiders group, as well as being the "Microsoft Most Valuable Professional" (MVP) for ASP.NET since 2009. He is also the creator and lead developer of the popular Open Source library AutoMapper.
- - Dave introduces the show and Jimmy Bogard
- - Jimmy focuses on teaching things he has used
- - Jimmy's definition of value
- - The things that "light Jimmy up"
- - The primacy of simplicity
- - Stories of failure, timing of big changes, admitting fault, avoiding the pointing of fingers
- - Testing in a realistic environment
- - Jimmy's greatest success story - Life improvement beyond mere technological success
- - How Jimmy stays current with what he needs to know
- - Jimmy's book recommendation
- - The things that have Jimmy most excited about now and his future
- - Quotable Quote - Jimmy: "If the framework you're using requires you to put that on your job rec, then maybe pick something simpler."
- - Simplicity fires Jimmy up - things like React
- - Jimmy's top 3 tips for delivering more value
- - Keeping up with Jimmy
Jimmy's book recommendation:
Jimmy's top 3 tips for delivering more value:
1. Favor simplicity over complexity
2. Focus on the problem before thinking about a solution
3. Focus on a context - understand constraints, interactions, and things going on behind the scenes