As a Serial Entrepreneur, Lawrence has built businesses in the entertainment, real estate, sports, manufacturing and technology industries. For the last decade, Lawrence has been focused on solving problems through technology. Highly driven by passion, Lawrence excels and adapts quickly to find solutions for problems. Lawrence is well known as an outside the box thinker that uses critical thinking, problem solving, vision, and strategy to find exciting innovations to disrupt markets. Lawrence has spent the last couple of years traveling the world speaking about technology and how it is used to solve real world problems.
With 13 years of professional software development experience across a diverse range of industries, Ben is a true software artisan. Ben uses his remarkably broad, even eclectic combination of skills to see both the "big picture" as well as the "nuts and bolts" that bring ideas to fruition. Software engineering and architecture, analyzing and choosing the right technologies, and building scalable solutions that truly meet customers' needs is what Ben loves to do. A serial-entrepreneur since he was a kid, Ben started teaching piano and drum lessons at the age of 13, started college (and computer programming) at 15, opened a professional audio-production and recording studio at 18, and has been writing code, advising startups, getting a computer science degree, working with billion-dollar companies, and hacking on amazing tech ever since. If you need someone who seriously understands the technology landscape on all levels - Ben is that guy.
- - Dave introduces the show and Lawrence Sowell and Ben Meyer
- - The nature of Codera and the projects they tackle
- - The story of VoiceCode - Ben's attempts to solve his own problem
- - The users of VoiceCode
- - Productivity tools for programmers - valuable?
- - Finding out more about VoiceCode and getting involved
- - The things that "light Ben up"
- - The things that "light Lawrence up"
- - Lawrence's story of failure - experiencing the collapse of a market and therefore of his business
- - How Ben stays current with what he needs to know
- - Lawrence and Ben's book recommendations
- - Lawrence and Ben's top 3 tips for delivering more value
- - Keeping up with Lawrence, Ben, Codrea, and VoiceCode
- Scott Hanselman - Do they deserve the gift of your keystrokes?
- Scott Hanselman - Finite keystrokes in video form
- Repetitive Strain (or Stress) Injury
- Mark Seemann - Beware of Productivity Tools
- Dave's Response to Mark Seemann's Post About Productivity Tools
Lawrence and Ben's book recommendations:
Lawrence and Ben's top tips for delivering more value:
- Show that you are very engaged and aware of what is going on
- Be passionate and not boring
- Be aware of what is going on with your projects
- Make sure you're having fun