Aral Balkan is the founder and lead designer of Ind.ie, a social enterprise creating independent alternatives to Spyware 2.0.
- - Dave introduces the show and Aral Balkan
- - The Web and Centralization
- - Spyware 2.0
- - Altruism, privacy, and selfishness
- - Aral's definition of value
- - The things that "light Aral up"
- - The character of our technology - design research, demonization of "the other", and ethical design
- - Aral's story of failure, fear of failure, the difficulty of estimation when you haven't done it before
- - Quotable quote - "Design is merely assumption."
- - Aral's greatest success story, combining the ethos of free software with the ethos of experience design
- - Aral's criterion for success
- - The value of tinkering and experimenting
- - How Aral stays current with what he needs to know
- - Aral's book recommendations
- - The things that have Aral most excited about his present and future
- - Disruption is not always constructive
- - The greatest sources of pain in Aral's life and work
- - Aral's top 1 tip for delivering more value
- - Keeping up with Aral
- - Farewell
Aral's book recommendation:
Aral's top tip for delivering more value:
1. Build the world you want to live in.