Harry Brumleve talks with Dave Rael about architecting highly available and highly scalable systems and speaking the truth to power.
Harry Brumleve has been practicing software development for over fifteen years and has worked on projects ranging in size and scope from large-scale, international finance/logistics to garage-scale, social media startups. He currently works as the lead editor of architecture and design for InfoQ.com and as a software architect building a high-availability graphics processing SaaS and a few of its business applications. In his spare time, he likes to head to the Rocky Mountains for a quick hike with his wife and his faithful dog.
- - Dave introduces the show and Harry Brumleve
- - Harry's definition of value
- - Speaking truth to power
- - The things that "light Harry up"
- - Stories of failure - embracing the failure and not letting it define you
- - Harry's greatest success story
- - Career path and hot Harry decides what projects to tackle
- - How Harry stays current with what he needs to know
- - Harry's book recommendations
- - What has Harry most excited currently
- - Things on which Harry geeks out other than software
- - Harry's top 3 tips for delivering more value
- - Keeping up with Harry
Dave's Blog Post regarding allocation of schedule time for improving and long-term focus
Harry's book recommendation:
Harry's top 3 tips for delivering more value:
1. Don't inflict your ideas (share them, don't inflict them)
2. Talk about code changes before upending what someone else has done
3. Make time to get better