John Sonmez talks with Dave Rael about delivering value and his experiences as a software developer, a life coach, and an entrepreneur.
John is the founder of Simple Programmer at simpleprogrammer.com, where he tirelessly pursues his vision of transforming complex issues into simple solutions. He is a prolific producer of developer training on Pluralsight. He's a seasoned software professional, podcaster, author, entrepreneur, and fitness enthusiast. John is a life coach for software developers, and helps software engineers, programmers and other technical professionals boost their careers and live a more fulfilled life. He empowers them to accomplish their goals by making the complex simple and is the author of Soft Skills: The software developer's life manual.
- - Dave introduces the show and John Sonmez
- - John's definition of value
- - The things that "light John up"
- - Stories of failure and John's thoughts on putting it in perspective
- - The novelty and discomfort of the experience of selling a (non-technical) information product for the first time
- - The virtue of making the effort and "getting up to bat" mutliple times
- - John's greatest success stories
- - How John decides what projects to tackle
- - How John stays current with what he needs to know
- - John's book recommentations
- - John's top 3 tips for delivering more value
- - Keeping up with John
- - Discount code for John's "How to Market Yourself As a Software Developer" course
- - Farewell
John's Pluralsight author page
John's course: How to Market Yourself As a Software Developer - remember to use discount code "optimized" for $100 off (Dave has purchased the course and highly recommends it - especially the interviews with Miguel Castro, Jeff Atwood, and Pinal Dave).
John's book recommendation:
John's top 3 tips for delivering more value:
1. Stop watching television
2. Track your time - John's post on his process
3. Have a definite goal or purpose